Connect with us

Latest News

India launches its heaviest rocket with 36 OneWeb satellites on board

Published

on

India’s heaviest rocket LVM3-M2 successfully launched 36 broadband communication satellites for a UK-based customer into the desired orbits on Sunday, according to the space agency, which hailed the mission as “historic.” OneWeb Ltd., a global communication network powered by space that enables internet connectivity for businesses and governments, is the UK-based client of NewSpace India Ltd. (NSIL), the commercial arm of ISRO. One of OneWeb’s major investors is Bharti Enterprises.

With Sunday’s accomplishment, ISRO overcame the anomaly it encountered on its Small Satellite Launch Vehicle (SSLV) mission on August 7 that rendered the satellites useless.

Deepavali had begun sooner for the scientists at the space agency, said a beaming S Somanath, chairman of the ISRO.

“The LVM3 M2/OneWeb India-1 mission was successfully completed. All 36 satellites have been launched into their intended orbits. @OneWeb @NSIL India, “ISRO announced in a tweet minutes after Somanath’s announcement that 16 satellites had been placed in the desired orbits, with the rest taking some time.

All 36 satellites were launched into orbit 75 minutes after the rocket took off from the spaceport here.

Somanath told the audience at the Mission Control Centre that the festival celebrations began at Satish Dhawan Space Centre because LVM3 and its first commercial mission completed the orbit very precisely.

“Now that the rocket has entered orbit, 16 of the 36 satellites have been injected. I wanted to let you know that separating the satellites is a slow process. Data on the separation of the remaining 20 satellites will be available shortly, and mission operations to monitor this separation are ongoing “, he had previously stated. ISRO later confirmed that the mission’s desired goal had been met.

Former ISRO chiefs K Sivan and A S Kiran Kumar, as well as Bharti Enterprises founder-chairman Sunil Mittal, witnessed the launch from the Mission Control Centre.

Somanath, also the Secretary of the Department of Space, described the mission as “historic,” and credited Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s support for its success.

“Congratulations to the entire launch vehicle team for taking the chance and preparing it for the historic mission today. I’d also like to thank the OneWeb team for trusting us to host the LVM3… We are hopeful that the next LVM3 mission will do the same to place the remaining 36 satellites contracted by NSIL “, he explained.

“The three major stakeholders in this particular mission, the NSIL, ISRO, and OneWeb India, have shown the entire world how to contract and execute the mission in less than 3-4 months,” said D Radhakrishnan, Chairman and Managing Director of NSIL.

After a 24-hour countdown, the 43.5-meter-tall rocket blasted off on Sunday at 12.07 a.m. from the Satish Dhawan Space Center’s second launch pad in a majestic flight.

Because it can transport satellites weighing up to 8,000 kg, the vehicle is also referred to as one of the heaviest.

The entire mission, which involved launching 36 satellites, took about 75 minutes from liftoff because scientists had to turn off the engine to position the satellites in their intended orbits.

The LVM3-M2 mission on Sunday, which is the launch vehicle’s first dedicated commercial mission, marks several significant firsts.

The rocket, which was the first Indian rocket with a payload of 5,796 kg, carried the heaviest payloads, according to ISRO, including 36 OneWeb satellites.

The ISRO Chairman demanded that the mission be completed in less than three months, according to mission director Thaddeus Baskar.

“Once the requirement was clarified, the entire ISRO team rose to the occasion and worked tirelessly. Throughout the schedule, there was no time for sleep, and everything had to be done correctly the first time “he stated.

The satellites will be placed in Low Earth Orbit (LEO), which is higher than Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (GTO), for the first time with the launch of LVM3-M2 (GTO).

Since the newest rocket can carry 8,000 kg of payloads into LEO and 4,000 kg of satellites into GTO, ISRO scientists changed the launch vehicle’s name from GSLV-Mk III to LVM3-M2.

The LVM3-M2 mission would boost the space agency thanks to the new launch vehicle that will put satellites into low-Earth orbit and ISRO’s dependable Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV).

The rocket is a three-stage launch vehicle with two S200 solid propellant strap-ons on its sides and a core stage with an L110 liquid stage and a C25 cryogenic stage.

OneWeb is deploying a constellation of 648 satellites in LEO. While 36 satellites were launched on Sunday, ISRO said that another batch of satellites would be placed in orbit by early 2023.

Latest News

In a $200 million deal, Estonia will purchase American rocket artillery

Published

on

By

Estonia will purchase American rocket artillery

According to defense officials, Estonia, a NATO member and Russia’s neighbor, will increase its defense capabilities by investing in the most sophisticated rocket artillery system ever produced by the United States.

A contract for the High Mobility Artillery Rocket System that was signed on Friday is worth more than USD 200 million.

According to a statement from the Estonian Center for Defense Investment, the package includes HIMARS rockets with a range of 70–300 km (43–186 miles). The initial deliveries are anticipated to be made by Lockheed Martin Corp. 

According to Lt. Col. Kaarel Mäesalu of the Estonian Defense Forces’ capability development division, the HIMARS multiple rocket launchers represent a significant new step in the development of Estonia’s defense capabilities. The enemy can now be decisively influenced even before coming into contact with our infantry units thanks to this, according to the author.

The Baltic neighbors of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, either already possess HIMARS or are in the process of doing so. During the invasion of Ukraine by Russia, Washington has given Ukraine rocket launchers.

The Estonian Defense Ministry claims that the HIMARS systems have enabled the destruction of Russian military ammunition depots, transport nodes, and command and control centres with pinpoint accuracy that is beyond the capability of the howitzers Ukraine has been using.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Alex Jones’ $1.5 billion bankruptcy filing Sandra Hook verdicts

Published

on

By

Alex Jones' $1.5 billion bankruptcy filing

Alex Jones, a conspiracy theorist, filed for bankruptcy on Friday after being forced to pay almost $1.5 billion for fabricating details of the 2012 Sandy Hook school shooting.

Jones requested Chapter 11 protection from creditors at the Houston bankruptcy court of the United States, according to a court record.

The declaration claims that Jones’ liabilities range from $1 billion to $10 billion and his assets range from $1 million to $10 million.

 Uncertainty surrounds Jones’ personal riches.

Jones has long maintained that the 2012 massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, involved actors and led to the deaths of 20 students and six staff members and was part of a government plan to seize American firearms.

Although he has finally confessed to the incident, the plaintiffs claimed Jones made a fortune for years by lying about the massacre.

Chris Mattei, a lawyer for the Sandy Hook families, stated that this bankruptcy “will not work, like every previous shameful move Alex Jones has done.” The statement continued, “Alex Jones will be held accountable by the American legal system, and we won’t give up attempting to make the jury’s verdict stand.”

Jones had engaged in deliberate and outrageous attacks, according to Mattei, and the bankruptcy system would not shield him.

Jones’s lawyer did not respond to requests for comment right away.

A Connecticut jury determined in October that several families of Sandy victims should receive close to $1 billion in damages from Jones and Free Speech Systems, Infowars’ parent business.

Later, Jones was required to pay $473 million more in punitive penalties by the Connecticut court.

The families’ weeks-long emotional testimony throughout the trial, in which they described how Jones’s lies about Sandy Hook made their grief worse, served as a defining feature of the proceedings.

In July, a bankruptcy petition was filed by Free Speech Systems.

In a different Texas case, a jury determined in August that Jones must pay the parents of a 6-year-old boy murdered in the Sandy Hook shooting $45.2 million in punitive damages in addition to the compensatory damages of $4.1 million.

The Connecticut and Texas verdicts will be appealed, according to Jones’ attorneys.

Debts that the debtor caused “willfully or maliciously” cannot be discharged through bankruptcy.

According to Susan Block-Lieb, a professor of bankruptcy law at Fordham University School of Law, Jones’ lies seem to fit this criterion.

“Defamation is very obviously an intentional tort, and in Alex Jones’s instance, it is extremely clear,” said Block-Lieb.

Jones runs the prospect of having to reveal all of his assets in court as a result of the petition, according to bankruptcy attorney Sidney Scheinberg.

Sheinberg claims that because he filed for bankruptcy, his assets are now known to the general public. A federal offence is hiding assets while a bankruptcy is being processed.

Jones’ net worth in Texas is estimated to be between $135 million and $270 million, according to an economist.

The plaintiffs who obtained judgments against Jones are listed as his biggest unsecured creditors in the bankruptcy filing.

Continue Reading

Latest News

This Winter, France Could Experience “some days” of Power Outages. Operating a Grid

Published

on

Government representatives from the region have been asked to make sure that patients receiving life-saving medical attention are informed three days in advance of any power outages so they can be moved to alternative facilities.

As the government informed local authorities on how to handle any potential outages, the president of French power grid operator RTE indicated on Thursday that France may see “several days”this winter, when a lack of electricity could cause blackouts.

Xavier Piechaczyk said on France Info radio that while there are hazards in the circumstances, power outages are not necessarily a given.

Piechaczyk adhered to the final supply forecast issued by the agency, which had warned of potential shortages in January.

As of December 1, we had 35 gigawatts of nuclear power available; our goal is to increase that to between 40 and 41 on January 1 and to roughly 43 by the end of the month, compared to a total capacity of 61.

The projection, according to Piechaczyk, was based on the EDF nuclear maintenance timetable, and some extra delays were already foreseen.

EDF’s network of nuclear reactors has experienced an unprecedented number of outages, bringing nuclear output to a 30-year low as Europe rushes to replace Russian gas supplies that Moscow shut off in response to sanctions the European Union imposed over its invasion of Ukraine.

According to RTE’s scenario, there is a chance that “some days this winter” may see Ecowatt, the nation’s electricity monitoring app, flash a red warning. It would be necessary to load customers partially off the power grid as a result.

Piechaczyk stated that the app has not yet been used by enough individuals.”Our app has been downloaded by around 300,000 people, and we have 470,000,000,000 SMS alert subscribers. We need to conduct more advertising because that is not enough, he remarked.

According to analysts cited by Reuters, the first power outages might start as early as Monday due to the chilly weather.

If we remain at 35 GW, Monday of the following week might become quite tight, warned Refinitiv analyst Nathalie Gerl. We forecast consumption at typically seasonal average levels, but 35 GW of nuclear power would not be enough to meet a fictitious peak demand of 73 GW.

We don’t anticipate a red alert until the end of 2022, said Frederic Lefort, head of business and administrative clients at Engie, one of the major power providers, during a Thursday event.

PARTIAL LOAD SHEDDING

According to Reuters, the French government has delivered legally binding guidelines outlining the proper way to prioritize electricity allocation to regional government authorities. Additionally, it exhorts them to consult with local businesses and authorities to ensure that all emergency power generators are operational.

The government stated in the instructions that any planned outages “should not affect more than 4 million people at the same time,” and that any local load-shedding procedures should not run longer than two hours and will be announced by RTE at 5 p.m. local time the day before.

According to the rules, critical locations like hospitals can be exempted, but schools should be closed on days when there aren’t enough supplies available.

Additionally, regional government representatives were requested to make sure that patients seeking life-saving medical attention had three days’ warning of potential power outages so they could be moved to alternative places.

Continue Reading

Trending