Connect with us

Latest News

Despite Twitter, a US citizen was tortured and given a 16-year prison sentence in Saudi Arabia.

Published

on

  • According to his son, a 72-year-old American citizen was given a 16-year prison term in Saudi Arabia.
  • According to his son, Saad Ibrahim Almadi was detained for his 14 tweets criticizing the Saudi government.
  • Almadi, who has dual citizenship in the US and Saudi Arabia, published the tweets while residing in Florida.

A retired Florida project manager was tortured and sentenced to 16 years in prison by Saudi Arabia over tweets in the US criticizing the Saudi government, his son says.

Saad Ibrahim Almadi, 72, holds dual US and Saudi citizenship. He was arrested while visiting family in Saudi Arabia in November and was convicted earlier this month. It also criticized corruption and policy-making, his son said. According to The Post, the retired project manager also released a tweet referring to Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who was notoriously killed by his home country agent in 2018, Ibrahim said.

According to his son, Almadi was detained for his 14 tweets from the past seven years, some of which criticized the Saudi government’s policy choices and corruption. According to Ibrahim of The Post, the retired project manager also tweeted about the Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who was infamously killed by agents of his own nation in 2018.

According to the Associated Press, Vedant Patel, a deputy spokeswoman for the State Department, confirmed on Tuesday that Almadi was being held in Saudi Arabia.

According to the AP, Patel told reporters, “We have constantly and vigorously voiced our concerns regarding the matter at senior levels of the Saudi government, both through channels in Riyadh and Washington, DC, too, and we’ll keep doing it.

According to the source, he added, “We have discussed this with representatives of the Saudi administration as recently as yesterday.

Ibrahim said in a statement to The Guardian that Saudi agents had abducted his father from an airport and were holding him in a hotel while they searched his phone.

Ibrahim told The Guardian that Almadi had felt secure flying to Saudi Arabia for a vacation because of his American citizenship and the strong connections his tribe had there.

According to The Post, Almadi was later found guilty of having a terrorist ideology, attempting to topple the Saudi Arabian government, and aiding and abetting terrorism.

In addition to his imprisonment, he was also handed a 16-year travel ban, which means that if the entirety of his sentence is carried out, he will be 104 years old when he is allowed to return to the US and 87 years old upon his release.

When Ibrahim’s family contacted the US State Department in March, according to the Associated Press, Ibrahim claimed that the Saudi government was torturing his father.

In his interview with the AP, he also claimed that the State Department had handled his father’s case improperly by failing to declare him an “unlawfully detained” American, which would have given Almadi’s case more priority.

A request for a response from the Insider was not immediately answered by the US State Department.

Latest News

In a $200 million deal, Estonia will purchase American rocket artillery

Published

on

By

Estonia will purchase American rocket artillery

According to defense officials, Estonia, a NATO member and Russia’s neighbor, will increase its defense capabilities by investing in the most sophisticated rocket artillery system ever produced by the United States.

A contract for the High Mobility Artillery Rocket System that was signed on Friday is worth more than USD 200 million.

According to a statement from the Estonian Center for Defense Investment, the package includes HIMARS rockets with a range of 70–300 km (43–186 miles). The initial deliveries are anticipated to be made by Lockheed Martin Corp. 

According to Lt. Col. Kaarel Mäesalu of the Estonian Defense Forces’ capability development division, the HIMARS multiple rocket launchers represent a significant new step in the development of Estonia’s defense capabilities. The enemy can now be decisively influenced even before coming into contact with our infantry units thanks to this, according to the author.

The Baltic neighbors of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, either already possess HIMARS or are in the process of doing so. During the invasion of Ukraine by Russia, Washington has given Ukraine rocket launchers.

The Estonian Defense Ministry claims that the HIMARS systems have enabled the destruction of Russian military ammunition depots, transport nodes, and command and control centres with pinpoint accuracy that is beyond the capability of the howitzers Ukraine has been using.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Alex Jones’ $1.5 billion bankruptcy filing Sandra Hook verdicts

Published

on

By

Alex Jones' $1.5 billion bankruptcy filing

Alex Jones, a conspiracy theorist, filed for bankruptcy on Friday after being forced to pay almost $1.5 billion for fabricating details of the 2012 Sandy Hook school shooting.

Jones requested Chapter 11 protection from creditors at the Houston bankruptcy court of the United States, according to a court record.

The declaration claims that Jones’ liabilities range from $1 billion to $10 billion and his assets range from $1 million to $10 million.

 Uncertainty surrounds Jones’ personal riches.

Jones has long maintained that the 2012 massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, involved actors and led to the deaths of 20 students and six staff members and was part of a government plan to seize American firearms.

Although he has finally confessed to the incident, the plaintiffs claimed Jones made a fortune for years by lying about the massacre.

Chris Mattei, a lawyer for the Sandy Hook families, stated that this bankruptcy “will not work, like every previous shameful move Alex Jones has done.” The statement continued, “Alex Jones will be held accountable by the American legal system, and we won’t give up attempting to make the jury’s verdict stand.”

Jones had engaged in deliberate and outrageous attacks, according to Mattei, and the bankruptcy system would not shield him.

Jones’s lawyer did not respond to requests for comment right away.

A Connecticut jury determined in October that several families of Sandy victims should receive close to $1 billion in damages from Jones and Free Speech Systems, Infowars’ parent business.

Later, Jones was required to pay $473 million more in punitive penalties by the Connecticut court.

The families’ weeks-long emotional testimony throughout the trial, in which they described how Jones’s lies about Sandy Hook made their grief worse, served as a defining feature of the proceedings.

In July, a bankruptcy petition was filed by Free Speech Systems.

In a different Texas case, a jury determined in August that Jones must pay the parents of a 6-year-old boy murdered in the Sandy Hook shooting $45.2 million in punitive damages in addition to the compensatory damages of $4.1 million.

The Connecticut and Texas verdicts will be appealed, according to Jones’ attorneys.

Debts that the debtor caused “willfully or maliciously” cannot be discharged through bankruptcy.

According to Susan Block-Lieb, a professor of bankruptcy law at Fordham University School of Law, Jones’ lies seem to fit this criterion.

“Defamation is very obviously an intentional tort, and in Alex Jones’s instance, it is extremely clear,” said Block-Lieb.

Jones runs the prospect of having to reveal all of his assets in court as a result of the petition, according to bankruptcy attorney Sidney Scheinberg.

Sheinberg claims that because he filed for bankruptcy, his assets are now known to the general public. A federal offence is hiding assets while a bankruptcy is being processed.

Jones’ net worth in Texas is estimated to be between $135 million and $270 million, according to an economist.

The plaintiffs who obtained judgments against Jones are listed as his biggest unsecured creditors in the bankruptcy filing.

Continue Reading

Latest News

This Winter, France Could Experience “some days” of Power Outages. Operating a Grid

Published

on

Government representatives from the region have been asked to make sure that patients receiving life-saving medical attention are informed three days in advance of any power outages so they can be moved to alternative facilities.

As the government informed local authorities on how to handle any potential outages, the president of French power grid operator RTE indicated on Thursday that France may see “several days”this winter, when a lack of electricity could cause blackouts.

Xavier Piechaczyk said on France Info radio that while there are hazards in the circumstances, power outages are not necessarily a given.

Piechaczyk adhered to the final supply forecast issued by the agency, which had warned of potential shortages in January.

As of December 1, we had 35 gigawatts of nuclear power available; our goal is to increase that to between 40 and 41 on January 1 and to roughly 43 by the end of the month, compared to a total capacity of 61.

The projection, according to Piechaczyk, was based on the EDF nuclear maintenance timetable, and some extra delays were already foreseen.

EDF’s network of nuclear reactors has experienced an unprecedented number of outages, bringing nuclear output to a 30-year low as Europe rushes to replace Russian gas supplies that Moscow shut off in response to sanctions the European Union imposed over its invasion of Ukraine.

According to RTE’s scenario, there is a chance that “some days this winter” may see Ecowatt, the nation’s electricity monitoring app, flash a red warning. It would be necessary to load customers partially off the power grid as a result.

Piechaczyk stated that the app has not yet been used by enough individuals.”Our app has been downloaded by around 300,000 people, and we have 470,000,000,000 SMS alert subscribers. We need to conduct more advertising because that is not enough, he remarked.

According to analysts cited by Reuters, the first power outages might start as early as Monday due to the chilly weather.

If we remain at 35 GW, Monday of the following week might become quite tight, warned Refinitiv analyst Nathalie Gerl. We forecast consumption at typically seasonal average levels, but 35 GW of nuclear power would not be enough to meet a fictitious peak demand of 73 GW.

We don’t anticipate a red alert until the end of 2022, said Frederic Lefort, head of business and administrative clients at Engie, one of the major power providers, during a Thursday event.

PARTIAL LOAD SHEDDING

According to Reuters, the French government has delivered legally binding guidelines outlining the proper way to prioritize electricity allocation to regional government authorities. Additionally, it exhorts them to consult with local businesses and authorities to ensure that all emergency power generators are operational.

The government stated in the instructions that any planned outages “should not affect more than 4 million people at the same time,” and that any local load-shedding procedures should not run longer than two hours and will be announced by RTE at 5 p.m. local time the day before.

According to the rules, critical locations like hospitals can be exempted, but schools should be closed on days when there aren’t enough supplies available.

Additionally, regional government representatives were requested to make sure that patients seeking life-saving medical attention had three days’ warning of potential power outages so they could be moved to alternative places.

Continue Reading

Trending