Biden declared that “silence is complicity” while addressing guests assembled for a Hanukkah reception at the White House, adding that it is crucial for the country to denounce hate, violence, and antisemitism
On Monday, President Joe Biden expressed concern over the rise of antisemitism in the country and around the world and committed to combat the evil.
Speaking to guests assembled for a Hanukkah reception at the White House, Biden declared that “silence is complicity” and emphasised the need of the country denouncing hate, violence, and antisemitism.
Hanukkah this year comes amid increased and emboldened antisemitism domestically and, quite honestly, globally, according to Biden.
“I understand your apprehension, hurt, and concern that this filth and hatred is becoming too common,” the speaker said. The president said, “I won’t keep quiet. America won’t be silent.
The time of the holiday celebration coincides with a wave of antisemitic incidents. At his Mar-a-Lago resort in Palm Beach, Florida, former president Donald Trump entertained a white supremacist who denied the Holocaust.
Ye, a rapper, once admitted to have feelings for Adolf Hitler. The basketball player Kyrie Irving appeared to use social media to advertise an antisemitic movie. As new CEO Elon Musk “amnesties” suspended accounts, neo-Nazi trolls are clamouring to return to Twitter.
As Biden stated, “Today, we must all say plainly and forcefully: Antisemitism and all other acts of hatred and violence in this nation have no place to call home in America.”
The Anti-Defamation League, a Jewish civil rights organisation, recorded 2,717 antisemitic assaults, harassments, and acts of vandalism in 2017, a 34% rise from the year before and the most since the New York City-based organisation started keeping track of such incidents in 1979.
Jewish leaders from the Reform, Conservative, and Orthodox branches of the faith participated in a recent White House debate on preventing hate crimes and antisemitism, which was moderated by Vice President Kamala Harris’ husband, Doug Emhoff.
Emhoff, a Jew, expressed his concern about the rising antisemitism at the occasion.
Holocaust survivor Bronia Brandman, Michele Taylor, daughter of Holocaust survivors, and Avigael Heschel-Aronson, granddaughter of Jewish thinker Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel, were all given invitations to the White House event on Monday.
Rabbi Charlie Cytron-Walker, who led his congregation to safety during a hostage situation at a synagogue earlier this year, was also present.
He attributed his survival and the survival of the other three hostages during the terrifying 11-hour ordeal to security training his suburban Fort Worth, Texas, congregation had undergone over the years.
Holocaust survivor Bronia Brandman, Michele Taylor, the daughter of Holocaust survivors and the U.S. ambassador to the U.N. Human Rights Council, and Avigael Heschel-Aronson, the granddaughter of Jewish thinker Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel, were all invited to the White House ceremony on Monday.
Charlie Cytron-Walker, a rabbi who led his congregation to safety during a synagogue hostage incident earlier this year, was also present.
He thanked his suburban Fort Worth, Texas, congregation’s security training for helping him and the other three hostages survive the terrifying, 11-hour experience.
He acknowledged that antisemitism was a rising issue in America but thanked everyone for speaking out, including Vice President Biden, at the White House celebration. In Winston-Salem, North Carolina, where she is now the rabbi at Temple Emanuel, Cytron-Walker remarked, “Antisemitism may be on the upswing, but thank God that people are standing by our side.
This year, a menorah was added to the White House’s collection of seasonal decorations, and it will be lit every night during the eight-day Jewish festival of Hanukkah.
Carpenters from the White House constructed the menorah using wood that had been preserved from a Truman-era refurbishment and sterling silver candle cups.
Although the White House has occasionally borrowed menorahs with special meaning, Biden claimed the addition was necessary.
Donald Trump Reinstated to Facebook, Instagram after 2-year Ban
Facebook parent company, Meta, has decided to lift the two-year suspension of former President Donald Trump’s personal account. The suspension was put in place following the January 6 insurrection. In a blog post, the company stated that they are implementing new measures to prevent future violations of their rules by political candidates or world leaders. The company believes that the public should have access to the statements made by politicians, whether they are positive or negative, so that they can make informed decisions. The new guardrails will be put in place to ensure that there are no repeat offenders. The company also emphasised that they will take action against any individual who violates their rules, regardless of their status or position. The decision to lift the suspension has been met with mixed reactions, with some praising the move as a necessary step towards free speech while others criticise it as a potential threat to public safety.
According to Nick Clegg, Vice President of Global Affairs for Meta, the public has the right to know what their politicians are saying, whether it is positive or negative. This is important because it allows citizens to make informed choices when they vote.
Clegg stated that the public should be aware of the good, the bad, and the ugly when it comes to the statements made by politicians. This way, they can make informed decisions at the ballot box. Clegg believes that this is essential for a healthy democracy and that it is important for the public to have access to the statements made by politicians, regardless of whether they agree with them or not. He also emphasized that the company will put in place new guardrails to ensure that there are no repeat offenders who violate its rules, even if they are political candidates or world leaders. Clegg believes that this is necessary to keep the public informed and to ensure that democracy works as it should.
Facebook’s decision to reinstate former President Donald Trump’s personal account has significant implications for his potential third run for the White House. Not only does it allow him to communicate directly with his 34 million followers – a significantly larger audience than the 4.8 million who currently follow him on his own site, Truth Social – but it also allows him to resume direct fundraising. Facebook was a crucial source of fundraising revenue for Trump’s campaigns, which spent millions of dollars on the company’s ads in 2016 and 2020.
During the suspension, his supporters were able to raise money for him, but they couldn’t run ads directly from him or in his voice. Trump has criticized Facebook’s decision to suspend his account and praised Truth Social, stating that this should never happen to a sitting President or anyone else who is not deserving of retribution. Other social media companies, including Snapchat, where he remains suspended, also removed him from their platforms following the insurrection.
7 Dead in Half Moon Bay Mass Shooting
The small beach-side community of Half Moon Bay in California has been left reeling after a tragic event that saw at least seven individuals lose their lives in a pair of related shootings. This act of violence comes just two days after another mass shooting that resulted in the deaths of 11 people in Monterey Park. The perpetrator of these shootings is said to be a 67-year-old resident of Half Moon Bay.
According to reports, the individual is accused of opening fire at two rural locations that were located around a mile apart from each other. In the process, some of the victims were shot in front of children who lived nearby and had just been released from school.
The San Mateo County Sheriff, Christina Corpus, has expressed her shock and sorrow at the incident. She stated that “These types of shootings are devastating and unfortunately, all too common.” For children to witness this is unspeakable.” The sheriff’s department and local authorities are now investigating the matter, and the perpetrator is being held in custody.
The community is in shock as they try to come to terms with the tragic event that has occurred. People are struggling to understand how something like this could happen in their small town, and many are questioning what could have been done to prevent it. The families of the victims are in the thoughts and prayers of the entire community as they try to come to terms with their loss.
This tragic event serves as yet another reminder of the need for stricter gun laws and a more robust mental health support system in the United States. It is a call to action for the government and the public to come together and take steps to prevent such senseless acts of violence from happening again in the future. The shooter, thought to be an employee at a local farm or nursery, was apprehended by authorities shortly after the incident. The victims are also believed to have been workers at nearby farms, according to officials.
Deputies of the San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office discovered four victims who were shot to death in the 12700 block of San Mateo Road, an unincorporated area of the county, around 2:30 p.m. A fifth victim was also located and rushed to Stanford Medical Center with critical injuries, as per the statement issued by the Sheriff’s office. A short while later, deputies found three more victims who had died due to apparent gunshot wounds, about a mile away, in the 2100 block of Cabrillo Highway.
According to Sheriff Corpus, the suspect is thought to have traveled between the two locations, shooting the unidentified victims at each site. The reason behind the shootings is yet to be determined, as per the statement given by the sheriff’s officials. The shooting suspect, Chunli Zhao, was located sitting in his car at the San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office substation in Half Moon Bay at around 4:40 p.m. Video footage from ABC 7 shows deputies apprehending a man, who was wearing a white cap, vest, and red long-sleeve shirt in the parking lot.
Bengaluru will Witness 187 Tata e-Buses in Four Months
The Grand Challenge plan of Convergence Energy Services Ltd (CESL), a Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) under the Union power ministry, aims to bring about a significant shift towards electric transportation in India. As part of this plan, 1,500 non-AC electric buses were allocated to the city of Bengaluru on a gross cost contract, also known as a lease model. CESL invited tenders for the operation and maintenance of these buses, and Tata Motors submitted a quote of Rs 41 per kilometer (including the cost of the driver) for a period of 12 years.
However, the Bengaluru Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC) has shown interest in inducting only 921 of these e-buses so far. Of these, 187 will be inducted in the next four months, with the remainder to be added by 2025. The BMTC is setting up charging stations at Shantinagar, KR Puram, and Hoskote depots to support these buses.
The adoption of electric buses in Bengaluru represents a significant step towards the goal of reducing air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions in the city. Electric buses produce zero emissions and are significantly quieter than their diesel counterparts, making them a more environmentally friendly and less disruptive mode of transportation. In addition, the cost of operating electric buses is generally lower than that of diesel buses, as electricity is generally cheaper than diesel fuel.
However, the transition to electric buses is not without its challenges. One of the main challenges is the need to set up infrastructure to support these vehicles, including charging stations and maintenance facilities. In addition, there is a need to address issues related to the availability and reliability of electric bus batteries, as well as the potential for battery waste.
Another challenge is the upfront cost of purchasing electric buses, which is generally higher than that of diesel buses. However, this cost is offset by the lower operating costs and reduced maintenance requirements of electric buses. In addition, various government incentives are available to encourage the adoption of electric buses, including subsidies and tax credits.
Despite these challenges, the adoption of electric buses in Bengaluru holds great potential for improving the quality of life in the city and reducing its environmental impact. The success of this project could serve as a model for other cities in India and around the world looking to transition to electric transportation.
Clothing Hacks That Save You Time And Money
‘Lazy’ Skincare Routine For A Relaxing Weekend
7 Common Myths in the IT Industry Debunked
India launches its heaviest rocket with 36 OneWeb satellites on board
How To Find The Right Business For You
Google’s New SEO Changes Are Here – What Should You Expect?
Electronics & Tech3 weeks ago
AI will Go Mainstream in 2023
Uncategorized3 weeks ago
What are the Top Digital Marketing Trends for 2023?
Electronics & Tech4 weeks ago
Pro and Cons of Using IOS
Sports4 weeks ago
Mixed Martial Arts Training Improves Physical and Mental Health
Fashion4 weeks ago
Historical Significance of Ruby Stone
Games3 weeks ago
Games to Try if You Want to ‘Just Chill’
Beauty & Products3 weeks ago
How to Recycle Beauty Products
Electronics & Tech4 weeks ago
The Biggest Tech Hubs in the World